Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Royal Holiday Weekend

My apologies everyone.....I did start this post on the 4th of July!  It is now the 6th and I'm still working on it.  Guess the holiday weekend lasted a little longer for me! 



Today is July 4th, Independence Day in the United States. Happy 4th of July! I remember thinking how strange it was to spend the 4th of July in Canada when we lived here. First of all, Canada Day is July 1 and it is a big holiday weekend.  So here I am, in Canada, and it is a holiday weekend, but it is not "my" holiday weekend....or is it? I attended both Canada Day festivities this weekend and 4th of July festivities, it was a very patriotic weekend....or 4 days!




The weekend was extra special this year!  There were plenty of festivities to keep everyone busy, Canadian and American.  There were parades and festivals and fireworks on Friday, Canada Day.  There was no shopping....so I got to come straight home from golf that day and I was glad!  Saturday I was lucky (gullible) enough to participate in a 10K Cross Border Challenge.  We walked from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia on an absolutely perfect summer day. I would have liked to take pictures on the way but when you are walking 10K you just have to make a judgement call and I decided not to carry a camera!  Sorry folks.  It was a well run event and after 5K  I was tired of walking and decided to run a bit and ended up running...and walking the rest of the race/event.  I really enjoyed the festive Canada Day atmosphere along with the scenery.  Maybe next year I will train and run a bit more...but then again, maybe not.

Sunday was crossover day.  The Canada Day fever was waning and the 4th of July festivities were beginning.  The day started with a golf scramble and ended with a party.  The decorations were all red, white and blue.  Today was the big day in more ways than one.  As far as Canadians are concerned, today was just Monday and back to work.  I did hear many references to 4th of July on CBC radio today and several programs were dedicated, in their own Canadian way, to their neighbors to the south.  I went to a traditional BBQ, with hamburgers, potato salad,  beans and fireworks for dessert! 

 Canada Day and the 4th of July did take a bit of a back seat this year to the Main Event!!! The Royal Couple.... Will and Kate, visited Canada and more specifically, Prince Edward Island, practically across the street/strait!  Canadians everywhere are basking in the glow of their royal newlyweds.  I must admit, I am just as taken with the Royal Couple, they are truly a beautiful couple.  I had the option to go to PEI and witness their Royal Beautifulness but decided that sitting in the backseat between two car seats was not worth taking a few pictures so I sent my field reporters with strict instructions to get PICTURES!  I had them all sign a release so I could use their photos on the blog!  See?

Don't want to risk being accused of using material without permission!
My reporters did not disappoint me! Not only did they get a nice picture of the Royal Couple, they were interviewed by the BBC, CTV and NBC!  Guess I should have taken that ride between the car seats after all!  The Duchess even pointed at her head and told my friends/world famous interviewees/millinery experts that she liked their hats. 



"I like your hats!"


If you want to view the interviews by the most excellent milliners you can see them  here.  The girls in the amazing hats are my friends/most excellent interviewees/millinery experts.  How exciting, to be interviewed by not one, not two, but three major networks and to get a shout out from the Duchess herself!  Yeah, should have taken the ride between the car seats!

P.S.  I still have one reporter/friend/cousin who has a picture for me....but since she is also the one that the 2 car seats belong to, thus the two children also belong to, she has not had time to get the picture to me just yet.  I promise to post it as soon as I get it.  I know you will all love it!

1 comment:

Linda Saucier said...

I love the picture! Can't wait to see the rest!
I think about you there in Nova Scotia weather while we are burning up at the beach this week! We are looking forward to seeing the Blue Angels, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...